Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Tour of Insadong (as promised!)

So last Friday night, while I was at the author dinner (see here), I took lots of pictures for you all of Insadong. Yes, I was thinking of YOU!


Insadong is my favorite place to shop in Seoul. If you come to Seoul, go there! If you're taking the subway, take line 3 to Anguk Station, walk to the corner and take a left. And you're there.

In 1988, the Korean government decided that this district would retain its cultural idea of a Korean marketplace. Really, it's one main cobblestone street with tiny offshoots along the way. On Saturday, Sundays and holidays, all cars are restricted from this street, which gives it a festive feel.

You'll find traditional painting as well as the rice paper and brushes to do it yourself, celadon pottery, wooden boxes as well as all of the things in my shopping contest.

Everytime I go, I always find something new that I like and MUST buy. There are delicious restaurants as well as tea houses. This is a picture of a man selling boiled chesnuts. And the traditional candy is made right in front of you so its fresh and sweet (I'm going to do a post on that soon!).







So now do you see why I adore Insadong? How about you? Do you have any places that you really like to shop at?

5 comments:

Bish Denham said...

We have a wonderful old style hardware/department store here in town called Gibson's. It is cram packed, floor to ceiling, with everything a person might need. Despite the big box-stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots)Gibson's continues to thrive. Even though their prices may be a bit higher their parking lot is nearly always full.

Why?

1. Because they offer service. And
2. Because they have quality goods.

Around here the saying goes, "If you can't find it at Gibson's it can't be found anywhere in town." And ya know...it's true!

I LOVE going in there.

Jen and Steven said...

Wow, what a fabulous area! I can see why you like shopping there so much. Unfortunately I can't think of any place in my town that's got so much character. Maybe the farmer's markets that finally show up around July and stay going until October. I rarely buy produce in the store during those months, and I plant the stuff I can't get at the market in my garden!

Kirsten said...

Aw, loved this post -- I remember Insadong from when I was in Seoul two years ago. It's such a lovely cultural area, and I totally remember eating roasted chestnuts, too.

Carl said...

Christina,

I really enjoy seeing these pictures of Korea and your descriptions of life there.

Thanks!

Victoria Dixon said...

OMG. Now I really want to go to Korea! LOL. Seriously, this looks marvelous and the mere mention of candy (unfortunately) made my mouth water.

I adore window shopping at local arts festivals. I usually can't buy as we're dirt poor right now and art is expensive, but I love to see what creative genious has spawned. Sometimes I'm inspired as well and then, once in a great while I buy a Christmas present for someone. Maybe even for me. LOL

Best buy at an art show: a nuts and bolts Tie Fighter for my husband's cousin, Duncan Jenkins. He's got the 3rd largest collection of Star Wars memorabilia in the world and he loves every last piece.