Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kkultarae- Traditional Court Cake

After our SCBWI author dinner, a couple of us decided to take a stroll through Insadong. We spotted these guys making kkultarae and reciting the process in Japanese! We asked them if they could recite it in English.

"Of course!" they said.


These guys were quite the showman and we laughed so hard at their 'wows!'


Kkultarae is also known as Korean court cake, which is made from stretched honey. To keep the strands from sticking together, they're dipped in cornstarch. Nuts fill the inside for extra flavor. When it's finished, there are 16,000 strands of honey!



Here's a video of how they make this sweet traditional cake that used to be researved for the king and his court. (Okay so I'm new to Movie Maker)



And here's me tasting it:



WOW!

What's an unusal treat that you really love? And you can't say Twizzlers because then I'll start craving them again.

19 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Those guys were so much fun!
Looks yummy! (WOW! :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

WoW! I'm drooling here!

Casey Something said...

Wow! How fun are they? Love both videos. You're so cute!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Mmmmm... those look so good! :-)

Kate Fall said...

You know, I don't know how you've made it so long without Twizzlers. Really. But that cake looks awesome.

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, cool! I'm not a huge fan of honey, but that looks delicious. I have to say that I love King Cake, and I've never been to New Orleans or participated in Mardi Gras. And I'm sure my recipe is lame, but I love it.

Marcia said...

Fascinating and fun!

Bish Denham said...

OMG, I love honey. It must be delectable.

Ann Best said...

This is amazing. I'm glad I found you through Karen, and you found me through her. I'm now one of your followers. It's amazing how blogging brings the world to you when you can't travel much beyond your own home. You did a great job with the photos.

Ann Best said...

And the videos are delightful!!

Kate said...

I hang out for visitors from England bringing me colsfoot rock. Korean 'Chocky Pies' are a bit of a treat too.

Christina, I just awarded you a "Beautiful Blogger Award". Details on my blog.

Love your blog.

Christina Farley said...

Kelly, Shannon and Karen- Yes! They are delicious!

Casey- thanks! :-)

Elana- Your recipe sounds yummy. We should all do a recipe swap sometime!

Kate Fall- TWIZZLERS!

Ann- thanks you. I'm glad we 'hooked' up too. Blogging really makes the world a smaller place, doesn't it?

Bish- you would like this

Kate- Oh! Thank you! That is so sweet.

Carmella Van Vleet said...

That was a blast to watch! I'm grinning from ear to ear. Thanks so much for sharing!! I really hope I get to make to Korea someday.

Jen and Steven said...

What showmen those dessert makers are! Thanks for sharing a part of your adventure. The cake looks fantastic. If there's anything gooey or chewy I'm all over it.

C.R. Evers said...

I'm so hungry now! ;0)

Victoria Dixon said...

Great pics! What a neat find.

Kimbra Kasch said...

Fun girls' night out :)

lisa and laura said...

That sounds incredible (Court Cake or Twizzlers).

Rena Jones said...

Love the video!