Friday, April 2, 2010

Stay in Shape!

Today I went jogging for the first time since I broke my toe two weeks ago. And let me tell you, it was PAINFUL! It sure didn’t take long for me to get out of shape.


The view is gorgeous from the mountain road that I jog along. If you look at the picture here, which was taken from my apartment, the mountain road I run is to the right of the tall apartments.


So while I was huffing and puffing up the mountain, I was thinking how writing is the same way. Work has been taking over my life the last week and I haven’t spent much time on my revisions. I’m getting out of shape in my writing! Because writing every day keeps my eyes sharp for my silly errors, my creative juices flowing, plus I’m in tune with my characters since I’m spending time with them.


So next week my goal is to spend more time running and writing. If I exercise my muscles and even those ‘writing muscles’, I know I’ll be in better shape and that WIP of mine will be too!


Some things I’m going to do to help me out even if I get busy:


1. Pick one random page from my book and edit only that page.


2. Think of 5 things my main character would like and jot them down in the notebook I carry around.


3. Imagine a funny conversation between two characters in the book. Jot it down.


4. Do a writing prompt: http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/


I’d love to hear how you keep your writing skills sharp even when you’re busy.

15 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

You do some awesome things. I love the ideas!
And your toe makes me cringe.

Danyelle L. said...

Great ideas! :)
*winces* I'm sorry about your toes.

For me, it's a matter of having a word count I have to meet every day, six days a week. It's set so that I have to stretch, but I can reach it. :D I know that when I take a day or so off, those writing muscles get out of shape fast!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I can relate to that! Takes me three months to get in shape and 3 days to get out. Totally not fair!

I'm thinking I'm not the best person to comment on how I keep my writing up. I'm not very good at that either!

But go you!

C.R. Evers said...

great post and great ideas!

I hope you're toe feels better soon. Ouchie!

I often think about my story when I have down time (driving, trying to sleep etc.) Even if I can't be typing I try to keep a mental list of things I need to think of for my following writing time and try to roll it through my head as if it were a movie. It helps me think about what sites, sounds backstory actions need to take place and how they will play together before I start writing.

Good luck with your jogging, toe and writing.

Kate Fall said...

Wait, don't blogging and critiquing count as keeping writing skills sharp when you're busy? If not, I'm in trouble!

Unknown said...

Great ideas!!! you toe makes me queasy thinking about!! Hope it feels better soon!

Bish Denham said...

Great idea Christina! Exercise for the mind is just as important as it is for the body.

MG Higgins said...

I especially love your idea of working on one page. That's a doable, small goal if I don't have much time. (Gorgeous picture. You have a great view!)

Christina Farley said...

Thanks guys. Yeah, broken toes are just not fun.

Okay Kate. You are so right. Blogging counts!

Marcia said...

Ooh, sorry about your toe. Good for you for getting out again as soon as possible. Isn't it awful how fast you can get out of shape? I really like your idea about editing a random page. I've done that.

Casey Something said...

Broken toes are no fun at all!!

I'm out of shape all around, so I'm loving all your ideas. : )

Nora MacFarlane said...

Ouch! Hope you heal fast!

I write every day. No matter what. Even if all I can do is put down one good sentence. And truthfully, sometimes that's all I can manage. I like your goals, and I may have to adopt them!

Love the new blog template!

Buttercup said...

I've gone the broken toe route -- several times. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Jessie Keyes said...

I try to write at least one paragraph today. If I can just get started, I usually write much more! I say I'll do it everyday, but of course like exercising, I don't. I like your ideas.

Victoria Dixon said...

Wow. Sorry to hear about the toe! Yes, I am this far behind in my blogging. It's taken me awhile to get back into things.

I have a hard time running because of my knees' love for jumping around in their sockets, but I do love to go for solitary walks and make myself examine nature. I don't have to write any of it down, but I FORCE myself to see. I'm too easily distracted and willing to accept what's around me at face value.