Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kick Start Your Year with Taekwondo

My oldest is finally old enough to join the taekwondo classes held here at our school. Master Kim already has him kicking, punching and doing jump kicks. Doesn't he look cute in his uniform? (Okay, so I'm bias!)

Right now I'm deep in revisions on Chosen Warrior at nights and drafting my new novel in early mornings. As you can imagine, taekwondo is full on my brain. And as I'm deep in the world of ancient and modern martial arts, I realize there are some things that I as a writer can learn from this.

Here are some quotes from my novel that I think can be related to writing:

"I have already been to the top, mediated and watched you make fools of yourselves. Look at the sun. It is setting, as is the first day of your quest."

I suppose I better turn the TV off and start writing!

"Those worthy to learn our secret craft must train their mind, spirit and body."

This seems to be the mantra of all agents and editors- don't you think?

"Your injuries will remind you that to be a warrior(writer) means pain and sacrifice."

This is how I feel after a rejection.

"Trust the journey of your past to give you the fulfillment of your future."

Don't let those rejections get you down. They are pushing you to become a better writer.

And if that wasn't enough on taekwondo for you, check out Carmella's post "I'm going to keep training" at the MiG Writer's site.

18 comments:

Kimberly Conway said...

Fun post! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Bish Denham said...

Those are some good quotes from your book. And yes, your son does look cute!

Unknown said...

I am in awe that you can work on two projects at once. I am going to try to do that this year, and am already struggling.

PJ Hoover said...

All great advice, Christina! I love it! And my youngest just started back at Kung Fu, and ditto: she is darling in her uniform just like your little guy!
Biased it good :)

Carmella Van Vleet said...

Oh, you know I just love a good taekwondo post! Your little martial artist looks great and sounds like a natural. Now. When are we going to get YOU in a dobok?

Elana Johnson said...

Excellent post! I so feel the taekwondo vibes in publishing.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Fun post, Christina! My little guy does martial arts too - I love the writing comparison. :-)

C.R. Evers said...

awesome quotes!

Your son is adorable in his Taekwondo uniform. It looks like he's doing a fabulous roud house kick. (douleeochagie if I remember correctly :0)

Keep writing, girl. You're an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Great quotes!

Vijaya said...

Oooh, great quotes from your book. And how you manage to work on two novels simultaneously (even though separated by hours) is beyond me.

Loved Car's post too. I remember some of the incidents on the BB.

Christina Farley said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

I don't normally work on two projects but I'm determined to get them done!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Karate chop your way through the writing wall.

Rena Jones said...

Great quotes. Love the picture. Good luck with your revisions, Christina.

MG Higgins said...

I'm getting inspiration from you post to keep revising. After a few rejects, I need to get back on the horse.

lisa and laura said...

I SO see the connection! Kick your manuscript's butt!

You're son is too cute.

WooToons said...

Your son is so cute! Love your words of wisdom!

Corey Schwartz said...

Love the analogy. And he does look ADORABLE!

Kelly Polark said...

Your little boy is so cute!
Thanks for letting us get a peek into your book! Great quotes!