Not only would I say Lake Wanaka is one of the most romantic towns I've ever been to, but it's located in one of my favorite countries, New Zealand.
I love New Zealand for it's diverse environment. In a span of a day's drive you can go from jagged mountain peaks and glaciers to fjords and rainforests. If you have ever seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies then you know how specatcular the sights are.
Where to Stay
- Wanaka Bakpaka offers a cheap place to stay, but it's got a great location by the lake
- Mount Maude for something rustic, yet a little more upscale
- Te Wanaka Lodge- a popular ski lodge
- We ate at a tiny Italian restaurant called Toscanas. It overlooked the town and lake. Make sure you call for reservations because they have only a few tables and they book fast. But the sunset is stunning.
What to Do
- Great shopping strolling around the downtown. And you must check out the homemade ice cream at Cinema Paradiso- yum!
- Hiking in the Mt. Aspiring National Park- incredible wilderness and hundreds of trails
- Kayaking on the lake
- Stuart Landborough’s Puzzling World has the neatest illusions and holograms.
- National Transport and Toy Museum
- Rippon Vineyard and Wanaka Beerworks