Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Related to Jane Austen

As you all know, I'm a crazy fan of Jane Austen. I've read all her books, do the annual Jane Austen movie marathon, I even have her figurine standing right above where I write (okay, that sounds a little creepy).

So when my uncle and I were chatting on the phone the other day about my dream to become an author, he said, "Well it makes sense considering who your relative is."

This is where I sit and rack my memory to recall which relative he's talking about. (Note: my uncle is a historian and knows everything about our family tree).

"You know," he prompts, "Jane Austen."

I laugh. (Because that is funny)

"No," he says. "I'm serious. She's your 14th cousin."

And then it all makes sense. Now my dad's side is Jewish. But my mom's side is English. And her family name was Austen.

Sure, 14th cousin is FAR off and I definitely don't live in England, but still. It's pretty cool.

And maybe he's right. Maybe there is a little bit of her writing spirit passed down to me over the years.

I sense a book idea here... 

13 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

As another crazed fan of Jane Austen, I'm kind of jealous. My notable relatives (on the side we've researched) were all Scottish vikings. :S

Andrea Mack said...

Wow, so cool!

Anne M Leone said...

Hah! That is pretty cool! And too funny that you didn't know. The only famous relative I've got is Herbert Hoover *eyeroll* ;)

Karen Strong said...

That's actually kinda of amazing really. I don't think I have any famous relatives. :(

Christina Farley said...

Danyelle- you like Jane Austen too? I wish you were closer and we could do movie marathons together! That would be fun.

Anne- I know. I should have figured that one out... *hits hand on forehead*

Larissa said...

That is SO FRICKIN AWESOME, Christy!

And OMG yes on the book idea. :)

Christina Farley said...

Larissa- haha! I'll have to pick your brain. I've got some ideas. If only I had time for all the crazy ideas that float through my crazy head.

Mirka Breen said...

Jane Austen holds many marvels. Just contemplating the endurance of her appeal is one.
Glad to have found you and your blog.

Tina said...

I love her work too. What an exciting/motivating discovery!
I am sure your famous distant cousin would be as proud of your lifetime achievements and endeavors. I think she may also be a little jealous of your marriage,family, and many opportunities not afforded to women in her time. ;)
I would love to read what ever discovery this prompts you to write.
xo
Tina

Angela Ackerman said...

Wow that's cool. I wonder what it says about me that I'm related to Lizzie Borden, the axe murderer? (cause apparently I am!)

I'd rather have your relative I think!

Angela

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Very cool, indeed!

Marcia said...

It's amazing that you'd be such a fan AND find out you're related!

Family lore says I'm related to composer Franz Schubert. But whenever I got a Schubert song in piano lessons I always hated it. :)

Anonymous said...

Your lineage and possible book idea are both awesome, Christina. What a fantastic thing to find out.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.