Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Key to Success

Recently I read a thread on a message board where authors were sharing some of their frustrations on their book sales and being able to meet their publisher's expectations.

What do you think helps an author find success besides writing a really great book? Is it their amazing blog? Book tours? Awards? Marketing?

And what would success look like to you as a writer? Would it be publishing a book?  Publishing multiple books? Movie deals?

I've actually thought a lot about this. I suppose for me it's to know that I have an impact on my readers. That somehow I can bring the joy of reading and discovery while somehow touching their lives in a way that I couldn't as a teacher.

The picture above is an antique Korean lock and key. Pretty cool huh? 

6 comments:

Andrea Mack said...

Christy, as a teacher, I'll bet you make a huge impact on your students, even though you might not know how you've inspired or helped to shape their lives. But I know what you mean about wanting to make an impact on readers. I think that's how I'd measure success too.

Anne M Leone said...

I think one of the frustrating things about writing is that a portion of the success is out of our control. Even a good book might not be discovered or read. So I think for me the important thing is to measure my success on the things I can control: how hard I work, how I treat others, how much fun I have. Course, that's a little hard to measure sometimes!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Measuring success by book sales is a tough one, because it really can't be predicted. If people, including publishers, knew what made one good book take off while another falls flat, they'd all be doing it and manipulating things to create bestsellers. It's such an intangible thing! In the end, it is the readers that determine book sales. And reaching the right readers is the toughest part of promotion.

Christina Farley said...

I love this discussion! You've each brought out some really important things and issues to think about. Thanks for sharing.

Bish Denham said...

I think I'm with you Christina. If something I write brings a smile to a face, to is inspiring, or helps a child become more curious, then I will be a success.

Krispy said...

I think that's the most important thing - knowing that your stories are meaningful to SOMEONE out there. Everything else are just perks! :)

(Love the photo. Very cool!)