Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Angelina C. Hansen- She's Got Fiction Addiction

I'd love to introduce to you a fellow blogger friend, Angelina C. Hansen. She is a YA Novelist repped and the 2009 SCBWI WIP Grant Recipient. Impressive stats, if I might say.

And you can check out here blog here.
 
What got you started into writing?
A combination of things: a lifelong fiction addiction, extreme envy of my work-from-home husband, and an acute desire for a teenage daughter. So basically I started writing so I could stay home, read books for “work”, and create my very own virtual teenagers.

What book did you last read that had an impact on your writing?
Amy Efaw’s AFTER—a perfect example of deep POV with a fabulous voice and page-turning suspense. I aspire to someday reach this level of skill in my own writing.

What are some of the biggest issues you face as a writer and how do you deal with them?
Finding balance so that my writing life doesn’t consume the rest of my life. I’ve had to set limits on how much time I spend writing and all the other stuff that comes with trying to get a book published.

What has helped?
One day a week is designated “internet, computer, and electronic device” free. One morning each week is for hiking in the woods. And an alarm goes off at 8:30 every morning reminding me to close the laptop and move on to other things.

Tell us a little bit about your current project?
1942, Occupied Paris, brave young women, provocative young men. Loyalty. Betrayal. And one nasty Gestapo agent.

What has been the most difficult part of writing it?
Finding just the right words to suit both the voice and epoch.

What are some of your favorite books?
How about some of my favorite YA authors: Laurie Halse Anderson, Ally Carter, Sonya Sones, Jenny Han, Jo Knowles, Megan Whalen Turner, Sarah Dessen, and many others I can’t remember off the top of my head. If I tried to pick favorite books I’d implode.

And here are some quickies:

1. Favorite type of chocolate: All. But sadly, I’m sugar sensitive and can’t eat any

2. #1 country you’d like to visit: Italy, again. But I’m afraid I’d never come home…

3. Favorite mode of transportation: My feet

4. Preferred writing method: My laptop, Bertie.

(Can I just say I love that you named your laptop!)

Thank you Angelina! I loved hearing these snippets about your writing life.

4 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Fiction addiction - I love that.

Oh but what torture - sugar sensitive :(

Paris intrigue -- sounds very interesting... oh and I have a few stories about those times myself. My husband's father and uncle were in occupied Denmark and had their own little resistance going on ;)

Deana said...

This was such a fun interview! I think I love Angelina already:) Thanks Christina!

Anne M Leone said...

A great interview! I especially love Angelina's advice about turning off the electronic devices and going for a hike in the woods--both would help my writing more!

Elle Carter Neal said...

Interesting interview. I need to designate an Internet-free day, I think. I'm currently attempting to do more of my writing long-hand outdoors instead of sitting inside with my laptap. But that will work better when Spring arrives; it's still rather unpleasant sitting outside for long.

Elle
HearWriteNow & Blood-Red Pencil