Then she had this idea: "Wouldn't Pinterest be a fun thing for your writing?"
I started to think about that and created some writing related boards. But how effective is Pinterest for writing promotion?
I don't have the answer on that yet, but if you love visuals and sharing those with friends, then I think you would enjoy Pinterest.
Why do Pinterest?
1. Brings you inspiration for characters and settings.
2. Gives browsers quick views of categories such as book covers for a particular year, cool book trailers, or how to decorate with books.
3. See in pictorial form books agents represent. Examples:
- Jill Corcoran: http://pinterest.com/jillcorcoran/
- Jennifer Laughran: http://pinterest.com/literaticat/
- Erin Murphy: http://pinterest.com/alwayserin/
- Kate McKean: http://pinterest.com/kate_mckean/
- Random House: http://pinterest.com/randomhousekids/
- Egmont: http://pinterest.com/egmontusa/
- Scholastic: http://pinterest.com/scholastic/
- Penguin Teen: http://pinterest.com/penguinteen/
- Lee and Low Books: http://pinterest.com/leeandlow/
- Harper Collins: http://pinterest.com/harperchildrens/
- Grand Central: http://pinterest.com/grandcentralpub/
- Sarah Shumway: http://pinterest.com/sarahshum/
- Sarah Barley: http://pinterest.com/sssdb/
- Stacy Whitman: http://pinterest.com/stacylwhitman/
How Does It Work?
The way it's set up is you build boards. Each board has a different topic of your choice and then you pin pictures onto it.
Ideas for Writing Related Boards:
1. Cool settings- Here you could post pictures of settings that would inspire a book idea.
2. Your book board- A pictorial representation of your story and characters.
3. Interesting personalities- I love this one to pin unusual characters.
4. Books worth reading- For this board I clip the covers of my favorite books.
5. Favorite book trailers- This is a great place to upload book trailers that you love from YouTube.
6. Quotes and sayings- Clip pictures you find inspirational.
7. Books in the home- There are great pictures of decorating with books.
8. Fun with books- Display pictures that show how fun books can be.
9. Libraries and bookstores- For those of you who still find these places enchanting.
10. Book covers of the year- post covers of books that you are excited to read for 2012, 2013...
If you do end up joining Pinterest, pop by and check out my boards at: http://pinterest.com/christinafarley/. And of course, I'd love to hear what you think!