Every book I write has it's own gorgeous, hardcover journal. I spare no expense for my journals because they become the bible of the world I'm creating for my novel. One of my journals I bought in a castle in France. Another I bought in an old shop in Insodang, Seoul.
If I see a journal I really like, I'll buy it, saving it for my next project. The other day I spotted these bigger journals in Barnes and Noble and was tempted. But I do love having a smaller one that I can squeeze into my purse or computer bag.
My journal for GILDED
So what do I fill my journal with?
- Photos- if I see a photo that reminds me of a setting, I cut it out and glue it inside
- Character sketches and venn diagrams (yeah, that's the teacher part in me)
- Listing of important names and their meanings
- Phrases that I think of and want to put into the book
- Thoughts or questions that I need answers for
- List of people and their contact information who I can go to for information
- Ideas and brainstorming
- Using it to jump start ideas or to discuss with myself issues I'm having with the story: "remember to go back and work on the dialogue for him." Or "check authenticity of the horn bow" or "I wonder what would happen if I decided to kill him. Would that up the tension or let things fizzle out?"
How about you? Do you keep a journal? How do you use it?