Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Adventure Continues...

Yesterday on Beth Revis’ Across the World Tour, my waterfall adventure was featured here. I’m so excited to have been a ‘stop’ on her blog’s two week tour. If you haven’t checked it out, you still have time to hunt for the clues and enter her amazing contest.



But like I said yesterday in my comment section, my adventure didn’t stop after escaping the guys from the waterfall. As you can imagine after hiking all day, we were exhausted on our trek back home.

My feet were blistered. I was desperate for a shower. And starved for food.
 When you’re in that kind of shape, you’ll do pretty much anything. Like jump in front of a moving jeep to hitch a ride down the mountain. The driver kindly drove us to the banana plantation where he was headed. It wasn’t the whole way, but close enough.


It was a bumpy trip and it got even bumpier when the earthquake hit.

No joke!

Okay, so it wasn’t a major earthquake, just enough to shake you around. When I got home, believe me, I was relieved! A couple of things had been knocked over and a wall had a large splintered crack down the middle, but overall, everything was safe.


The earthquake had broken some of the water pipes in Bukit Sentul so we had muddy water (yeah, didn’t get my nice hot shower) for the next day. And the electricity was out, too.

But you know, even though I didn’t get my hot shower and had to use bottled water to get cleaned up. And even though there was no electricity, it was okay.


We all were safe. And that whole experience made me even more grateful for clean water and lights.

That night we ended up heading to the outdoor café for food. Man, I was so sore and that nasi goreng tasted so delicious! The sun was fading, but the restaurant, used to the loss of electricity, had plenty of candles. From our table, I watched the city of Jakarta light up in the valley below. The mountain we had hiked up to was behind me, silhouetted in the sun’s final rays.


And that’s when I realized how blessed I was to be safe, surrounded by my friends, and to have everything that I needed.

4 comments:

Stina said...

Wow that was quite the adventure. The food sounds yummy, though anything would have tasted good after what you went through. :)

Bish Denham said...

Earthquake? My word! I'm glad it all worked out okay. You can also be thankful for no fire or flood.

Victoria Dixon said...

I'm relieved you're ok, but what a wonderful story came out of the adventure. So many blessings!

I think the Chinese got it wrong. It would be a curse to wish someone a boring or uneventful life.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got out of it okay. What a gorgeous waterfall.